Saturday, February 11, 2012

A Followup to the J&J article

Sarah (perrycare44@COMCAST.NET) wrote as a followup on the J&J thread: When I spoke with the lady on the phone

she was pretty focused on students. It seemed to me that students have been defined as the future. The picture I got was one of

them not being able to do much about jobs, or what hospitals do,so they are putting their efforts and their money into students.

I tried to get my point across about the fact that I couldn't really tell much from the website or their published annual reports. I had

seen the two most recent annual reports, which seemed to be talking about very soft things and reporting their survey
information in vague terms e.g. "almost half" of RNs, blah blah blah. I tried to point out to her that if nursing education

is really their focus then they might think about using data to report on their the results of the project.

For her part, she expressed regret that I had used a negative report in talking about J&J on this listserv. She directed

me to the Peter Beurhaus reports, which are archived and which I ought to be able to find in an internet search,
if I wanted the hard data. She expressed the point of view of J&J as a company that does not do a lot of chest thumping about the great things they are doing.

I still encourage the students on the list to go to the RWJF website and the the
NSNA website to look for some of the $18million dollars in scholarship money
that J&J has raised. Sarah

No comments: